Thursday, November 03, 2011

40 Days for Life Fall 2011 comes to an end: Stories from the Sidewalk + more



Stories from the Sidewalk

Dear Friends,

We had a few days of bitter cold this Fall during 40 Days for Life. Putting the best spin on it, we decided that the Holy Spirit could blow powerfully even when the temperatures drop. So those fierce winds did not deter the prayer we offered. Who knows, they might've spurred us to more fervor, if only to warm ourselves by proximity to Christ's own fiery Heart. We prayed and offered information and kind words to the young women who sought relief from the burden of a crisis pregnancy by choosing to destroy rather than nurture the growing lives within. We know that the promised relief is temporary, that abortion as a solution to problems is an illusion. Without real hope and support in their lives, without real love, the burden will not lift for those who are ensnared in our bleak culture of death.

Pray for the mothers who have aborted their children during these 40 days of vigil. Pray that they receive the graces they need to turn towards life. Pray that the Lord take the souls of the innocent, unwanted and unborn children to Himself, that they are consoled in His love for their aborted experience of life and love on this earth.

We've heard many stories during these 40 Days of prayer and vigil. Just this week, we heard a father justify the killing of his unborn child inside Planned Parenthood: "I'm a Christian too, I go to church three times a week, I'm on the parish board of my Greek Orthodox church. I'm 58 years old, I can't be a father. My pastor told me it was my choice to make. I go to church three times a week. I've researched it all on the Internet, it's not a human being yet. I appreciate what you're trying to do, but I don't need your information. I'm a member of my parish board. I go to church three times a week."

Three times he felt he needed to repeat his church affiliation. We wonder.... why so many times?

We were praying the rosary, meditating on the mysteries of Christ's Passion, when we were approached by a young woman and her best friend. "I saw you from over there and thought I just needed to talk to you. You're against abortion, right? You don't think it's a good idea, right? I'm pregnant and everybody says I should abort my baby, but I don't want to. The economy is so bad and all. Could I have one of those rosaries? Could my friend? Could you pray with us?" She did not know about Bayard House, or A Door of Hope and Birthright, or Mom's House. We were able to tell her about so many resources that she did not know about. She stopped by two days later, all smiles. She knew what she wanted, and she thought that with her friend's help she would be able to make it. She was just looking for somebody to encourage her in what she knew she wanted to do.

Come Pray With Us This Friday and/or Saturday!

Two days from now, November 4, is the last Friday of this fall's 40 Days campaign. It is also a First Friday. The following day, November 5, is the final Saturday of our campaign. Friday is surgical abortion day at Planned Parenthood. Saturday is "overflow" surgical abortion day, if they get too many clients on Friday.

Come join us on Friday and/or on Saturday. The Knights of Columbus will be there also on Saturday. Let's make a prayerful end of this 40 Days campaign.

Final Benediction at St. Patrick's in Wilmington on Sunday, November 6 at 4:00 pm.

Father Leonard Klein will offer a final benediction on Sunday, November 6 at 4:00 pm at St. Patrick's Church, Fifteenth and King Streets, Wilmington, DE 19801.

40 Days for Life is looking for a non-Catholic to join our coordinating group. Could it be you? Think and pray about it!

40 Days for Life began in a small, evangelical Christian community in Texas. One of the ironies of life is that since it has spread throughout the nation and the world, it is Catholics who tend to come on board in leadership positions. 40 Days for Life Wilmington would like to have a non-Catholic sister or brother join our coordinating team. This is a wonderful opportunity for ecumenical fellowship, as well as a chance to get together with like-minded Christians in service to the Lord. If you feel called, email me at rstabosz@gmail.com or go to www.40daysforlife.com/wilmington and contact any of the five coordinators listed on our home page.

Blessings on you all!

Rae Stabosz

No comments: