Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Remembering Curt Wayne, my buddy

Sunday marked the 2nd anniversary of the death of Curtis Wayne - husband, father, artist, lover of life, and my good buddy. I've been thinking about Curt a lot lately. And about Jack Grabowski, another good friend who died the week before Curt. I miss them both here on earth. But what I've been thinking about is their presence in the communion of saints. What are they up to now? Do they still think in the limited terms that I think, or have their minds been introduced to the unfathomable breadth and depth and height of reality without its cloaking devices?

Do they see God face to face? And what of their hearts? My faith tells me that as the accretions of their limited earthly existence disappear, they become more of who they really are. A quietly smiling, robust Curt whose humor and wry creativity reigns free of the shadows of sin. A Jack whose love of books and films translates to unimaginable apprehension of the richness of the human story.

John Prine, a favorite of Curt, says it all. Curt, buddy, this one's for you! AND HOW ABOUT THEM PHILS???







Fish and Whistle, by John Prine

I been thinking lately about the people I meet
The carwash on the corner and the hole in the street
The way my ankles hurt with shoes on my feet
And I'm wondering if I'm gonna see tomorrow.

Father forgive us for what we must do
You forgive us we'll forgive you
We'll forgive each other till we both turn blue
Then we'll whistle and go fishing in heaven.

I was in the army but I never dug a trench
I used to bust my knuckles on a monkey wrench
Then I'd go to town and drink and give the girls a pinch
But I don't think they ever even noticed me.

Fish and whistle, whistle and fish
Eat everything that they put on your dish
And when we get through we'll make a big wish
That we never have to do this again again

On my very first job I said thank you and please
They made me scrub a parking lot down on my knees
Then I got fired for being scared of bees
And they only give me fifty cents an hour.





2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good one, my dear. Did you get my phone message? Liz and I visited curbie on The Day...personally, I think he's fishing, which may or may not be a Christian metaphor...love from NJ TW

MyCamel said...

My Wife and I spent Sunday on Lake Incognito (Lake Sinclair, GA)-the site of the ASA regrunion (read: reunion) -- we couldn't go grunion hunting on the west coast so we had a "regrunion in lieu of a reunion. Curt learned to play golf on the Uncle Remus Golf Course in South Eatonton, Georgia. He instructed his ASA bud's in the art of lake fishing with big worms. i have a wonderful picture of Curt sitting on the end of our dock contemplating his fishing abilities. If he's with God-trust me-they're talking about a lot more! He was capable of carrying on a conversation on just about any topic with ease.

We all miss him. God be with him!

Mike Hammel (My Camel)