Thursday, January 07, 2010

Conversion to Christianity: violation of separation of church and television?


Is it obligatory for every blogger to write something about Tiger Woods?

My first thought on hearing of his fall from grace was, "I'm glad my mom's not around to see this." She was a big Tiger Woods fan. Thought it was wonderful to see a black man take the "rich white man's" sport and turn it upside down with the cool beauty of his strokes. My mom was a dyed in the wool Democrat and populist her whole life, one who was appalled when my husband started voting Republican, telling him it was a crying shame that someone who came from immigrant grandparents should be voting that way. She thought Tiger Woods was showing the Republicans what for.

It's not Tiger Wood's situation I want to write about, but the kerfluffle surrounding Brit Hume advising Tiger to turn to Christianity for forgiveness and to put his life back in order. My husband is a big Ann Coulter fan, and he pointed me to her recent article on the brouhaha of criticism (she, in usual Coulter style, calls it "howls of rage and blinking comprehension") that has followed in the wake of Hume's suggestion.

Punditry is not really my thing. But I recognize its place in human affairs. G.K. Chesterton and George Bernard Shaw exchanged barbs in print for years, although I don't think they were as nasty as folks get these days. And privately, they were friends.

That's an aside, mostly to make it clear that I don't really subscribe to Coulter's views about raging liberals. But I do enjoy her column when I read it. Here's the latest. And my favorite part:

On MSNBC, David Shuster invoked the "separation of
church and television" (a phrase that also doesn't appear in the Constitution),
bitterly complaining that Hume had brought up Christianity "out-of-the-blue" on
"a political talk show."

Why on earth would Hume mention religion while
discussing a public figure who had fallen from grace and was in need of
redemption and forgiveness? Boy, talk about coming out of left field!

What religion -- what topic -- induces this sort of babbling idiocy? (If
liberals really want to keep people from hearing about God, they should give Him
his own show on MSNBC.)

Most perplexing was columnist Dan Savage's
indignant accusation that Hume was claiming that Christianity "offers the best
deal -- it gives you the get-out-of-adultery-free card that other religions just
can't."

In fact, that's exactly what Christianity does. It's the best
deal in the universe.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'd just like to say I've always loved that painting! Teri