Thursday, December 31, 2009

The Good Book - Melanie


I'm doing book store inventory this snowy morning, listening to a station I've created on Pandora out of my favorite sixties folk and folk-rock singers. One of these is Melanie Safka -- usually referred to just as "Melanie" -- whose albums I owned in vinyl format. This song came up, and although it's not my favorite of hers, on this snowy New Year's Eve morning I felt like sharing it. It is a prayer, a prayer of one of the purist voices of the hippie movement. Its yearning for the God who was speculated "Dead!" on Time Magazine's cover a few years before is palpable.

CLICK HERE for YouTube rendition of GOOD BOOK.


Poor little hairy kids out on their own
They run to the festival to show that
They were one
They've fallen in love with all human kind
So tell them You love them
So they don't change their mind.

Write us a book of instructions or signs
And if it's been written
Then give us more time
Recite a poem or sing us a song
And tell us You love us
So we don't feel alone.

And it's sad that we weren't born
Like horses and sheep
To know where we're goin', to know
What we need
But You've written the music
So we'll sing along
But tell us You love us
So we don't feel alone

Give the poet a poem and the singer a song
And then tell us You love us
So we don't feel alone.

2 comments:

deb said...

I was listening to Melanie last night on youtube,
and considering posting on my blog with reference to this song.
so of course in googling it I've landed here.
beautiful
and of course I plan to stay and look around.
nice to "meet" you.

cool said...

I’m impressed, I need to say. Really not often do I encounter a blog that’s each educative and entertaining, and let me inform you, you have got hit the nail on the head. Your concept is outstanding; the difficulty is one thing that not sufficient people are speaking intelligently about. I'm very blissful that I stumbled throughout this in my seek for something regarding this.
London Hotels