Saturday, October 31, 2009

Peggy Noonan - "We're Governed by Callous Children"

I don't want to jump on the Obama snark wagon because I think that yes, it is historic to have a black president and yes, Obama snark can all too easily fuel the racial hatred that everyone of good sense knows still seethes underneath the surface of the country. I don't wish to see it ignite. I don't want to be party to its eruption. I was happy that Obama was elected because I was tired of all the Bush hatred, but Bush hatred never alarmed me, it only severely irritated me.

But.

I very much like a recent article by Peggy Noonan. I AM alarmed by the seeming embrace of government control, regulation, and redistribution of wealth from this Administration. Noonan writes of a couple of thoughtful talks she has had with business folks. She writes about how there is a general disheartening from the business sector that bodes very poorly for the economic health of the nation. She argues that this recession, by the numbers, is not as bad as the recession of the 80's, but that what is bad is that there is a growing feeling of helplessness that nobody has a plan, nobody knows what to do to make it all right again, and government is sending out messages of optimism that are falling on deaf ears.

At the end of the article, Noonan writes:
We are governed at all levels by America's luckiest children, sons and daughters of the abundance, and they call themselves optimists but they're not optimists—they're unimaginative. They don't have faith, they've just never been foreclosed on. They are stupid and they are callous, and they don't mind it when people become disheartened. They don't even notice.
Read the article and judge for yourself.

No comments: