Sunday, October 18, 2009

Abortion -This is a Suction Abortion

Today, on Day 26 of this fall's 40 Days for Life campaign of prayer and fasting to end abortion, a video from Fr. Frank Pavone of Priests for Life. It's not gory, just clinical. I've read Fr. Pavone's articles for years but never heard him speak. I quite like it-- and when he takes off his collar at the end, I got this little frisson of a jump into alternative realities. In this Year of the Priest, it's good to reflect on the meaning of the priesthood. What difference does it make?

I started this 40 days campaign determined to pray, fast, and read each day's report and spiritual reading. I've had my usual problems fasting. Fasting makes me cranky and sometimes crazy. And yeah, sometimes I see the daily email in my INBOX and cringe because I'm looking for something more Rae-centric, like news that I sold some more books or notice of a sale at Coldwater Creek.

But mostly I am faithful. It's like the 40 days of Lent. A cross between a root canal and a spiritual goosing.

No comments: