Sunday, August 30, 2009

Excerpts from Ted Kennedy's letter to Pope Benedict XVI



I have been praying for Ted Kennedy myself the last few months, and Joe Biden too. I've been praying that both of them would man up and admit, to themselves and the world, that you cannot be a Catholic and support abortion on demand as the status quo.

I am moved by this exchange between Sen. Kennedy and the Pope, and somewhat bemused. It is redolent of the days when kings and popes would regularly communicate on matters of spiritual importance. It was probably constructed with an eye towards release to the press, after Kennedy's death. But that does not obviate its authentic and timeless nature as a communication between a Catholic and his priest.

Tip of the hat to Gordon Zaft for bringing this to my attention.

No comments: