Wednesday, April 08, 2009

Recovering Sociopath's advent musings on abortion & the coming of Christ


I find the coolest stuff by chance - serendipity is a very close friend of mine, or possibly Serendipity is the name of my guardian angel dear, to whom God's love commits me here.

I was looking for reviews of Tanith Lee's book Red Unicorn to see if it would be appropriate for my 11 year old granddaughter Ruth Danyo. Tanith Lee can be a terrific writer but some of her stuff is not for kids, even precocious ones (natch!) like Ruth.

In my search, I stumbled across a blogger who calls herself Recovering Sociopath. She wrote
this, about abortion,
which so mirrors how I often feel about its enormous evil in our world. Here is an excerpt:
What comforts me about this is not that abortion and infanticide has been around almost as long as there have been babies-- if I think too long on the millions of children thus murdered throughout history, I start to lose it a little bit-- but that it has always been part of our identity as the body of Christ that we do not kill our children. And as long as we have been the church, it has been part of our job to resist this monstrous evil, this spirit of Moloch, wherever it is found.

But abortion is not going to go away. Even if it were illegal everywhere, people would find a way. I think this is the main reason I am fairly listless about the idea of changing laws. Changed laws are not changed hearts, and our hearts are desperately wicked.

We can and should fight it, of course, and do what we can to save what children we can, but ultimately this battle belongs to the God who has conquered death-- and that is another comfort. N.T. Wright uses a phrase I love: "putting the world to rights." This is what we are called to participate in here and now, however we can, and it is what we hope for when Christ returns, fully and finally to establish His perfect rule.

This is why Advent throbs not only with joyous expectation but also with a terrible yearning. Advent echoes not only with praises but also with desperate cries for deliverance.

He is coming, and He is going to put the world to rights.

He is coming, and He is going to fix all the broken shit.

Read it again: it has always been part of our identity as the body of Christ that we do not kill our children.

From our beginnings in pagan Rome, to our current state in pagan America:
it has always been part of our identity as the body of Christ that we do not kill our children.

Thank you, Recovering Sociopath!



No comments: