Thursday, January 08, 2009

Rest in peace, Richard John Neuhaus


Father Richard John Neuhaus died this morning at 10am from complications from his long battle with cancer. Fr. Neuhaus began to fail the day after Christmas, and never recovered. He died surrounded by friends.

My discovery of his journal, First Things, marked a turning point in my intellectual life. It was there that I first found credible, humane, and thought-provoking conservative thought on religion, politics and culture. I owe Fr. Neuhaus a debt that I hope to discharge through prayer. May he rest in peace.
Go forth, Christian soul, from this world
in the name of God the almighty Father, who created you,
in the name of Jesus Christ, Son of the living God, who suffered for you,
in the name of the Holy Spirit, who was poured out upon you,
May you live in peace this day,
may your home be with God in Zion,
with Mary, the virgin Mother of God,
with Joseph and all the angels and saints.

No comments: