Wednesday, November 07, 2007

Racing against time to view the Finland shooter's videos

I spent about 1/2 hour this morning watching YouTube videos posted by Sturmgeist89, the YouTube name of the Finland school shooter. I was curious, had no nobler motivations. I was frankly surprised to see the videos still available, and had an idea that they might soon disappear. And so they have.

The videos were telling, and yes were like viewing a train wreck before it happens. The most chilling that I viewed was a tribute to the Columbine killers. The others I watched showed: 1) a selection of clips from Schindler's List focusing on the Nazi's shooting folks in the street; 2) an alternative ending to A View to A Kill in which the Christopher Walken villain character throws Roger Moore's 007 character off the Golden Gate Bridge and wins the day; 3) a compendium of video footage from events like 9/11, the dropping of the atomic bomb, etc.

He had a video that divided the whole world up into three types of personalities - the independent, the manipulative, and the mass man. Examples of the independent were Dylan Klebold and Eric Harris (the Columbine killers) and a bunch of authors; examples of the manipulative were Jesus Christ, Hitler, Stalin, Jim Jones and others who gathered tons of followers. Examples of mass man were everyone else, making up 90% of the population. The other two types made up 5% each of the world.

I had to leave for my strength training class, so I didn't get to see all of the videos. I tried to figure out a way to save them so I could gratify the curiosity of friends and family, but to no avail. Now I find myself chagrined. (I note both facts in the interest of self-disclosure, not because I am proud of it). The videos were obviously removed by YouTube, and if you try to access them now you find that " This video has been removed due to terms of use violation."

No comments: