Thursday, November 01, 2007

I'm a racist, you're a racist, we're ALL racists here at University of Delaware

University of Delaware is fielding a "sh*t has hit the fan" situation over their residence hall diversity program.

Here are the two sides in a nutshell:

The Foundation for Individual Rights in Education (FIRE) complains that UD students are undergoing thought reform and indoctrination.

Michael Gilbert, Vice President of Student Life at UD, responds.

I especially like this definition of racist. I am publishing this before I find out if indeed, it is true that this is found in the diversity documents. If I investigate and find I'm wrong and am taking this out of context, I'll say so. But... you know my blog isn't the New York Times. And this is just TOO precious:

The university's Office of Residence Life Diversity Education Training documents include this statement:

"A RACIST: A racist is one who is both privileged and socialized on the basis of race by a white supremacist (racist) system. The term applies to all white people (i.e., people of European descent) living in the United States, regardless of class, gender, religion, culture or sexuality. By this definition, people of color cannot be racists, because as peoples within the U.S. system, they do not have the power to back up their prejudices, hostilities, or acts of discrimination. …"



I find Michael Gilbert's response specious. It's a little like the French colonel who protests in Casablanca.

"I am shocked --- shocked, I say! --- that anyone would think our students are so vapid as to be easily indoctrinated."

DUH. There's a thin line between education and indoctrination, and UD programs like Women's Studies and Office of Diversity have been crossing it for years.

Yeah, I send two of my kids to University of Delaware so they can be told they are racist. Yup.
Looks like I should be glad that neither of my kids is involved in residence life.

No comments: