Monday, September 03, 2007

From anxiety to joy with a stopover in Dreamland






My husband and I have come full circle. Our firstborn, David's, firstborn -- a son -- came into the world last night. Donal David Stabosz was born at Mercy Medical Center in Baltimore on the evening of Sept. 2, 2007, weighing in at 9 lb 5 oz (they grow them big these days!).

Welcome, Donal! Congratulations, Maria and David! Your lives will never be the same.

The two pictures above? The first illustrates how I felt the moment after David called to tell me that he and Maria were at the hospital; the 2nd, how I felt when Bill woke me up a couple of hours later to tell me that the baby was born.

There seems to be no way I can respond to the news that my daughter or daughter-in-law is going into labor other than sheer anxiety and fear. I clutched at my rosary, trying to pray, but unable to think past the wall of Sheer Fear that always grabs me when childbirth is imminent. I fell asleep halfway through the Apostle's Creed.

Mother, are you having the last laugh on me now, from somewhere on high? Now I know why you did not want me to call you when I went into labor, but just to call when everything was done. My first thought on hearing the news that Donal was born: "Thank God he's okay!" My second thought, "Thank God it's over for Maria!"

No comments: