Tuesday, July 24, 2007

Update on Owen, my miracle grandson



27 July 24, 2007 at 12:16 AM EDT

This is from Ruth:

Owen's amazing! My brother Wade and I play chase with him all of the time. Sometimes he falls, but sometimes he doesn't cry. He just gets right up and starts playing again. It's really nice to have a baby around the house. Sometimes he gets into all of my stuff, and it really gets on my nerves. But being so cute makes it up.


This is from Reetie:

I've posted some new pictures of the kids. Owen is currently being evaluated by the physical therapy team to discern whether or not he qualifies for services. These evaluations are required, though the general understanding is that he is fine and will continue to progress on track!

Bob and I have gotten used to the wonderment of his recovery. Yes, we still make a few comments, I will admit, daily, about the strength and progress of our youngest child. It is a very humbling experience, to be the mother of such wonder. I feel that we are all taking many steps back, and giving thanks.

And yet I often ponder,almost weekly, what life with a child with cerebral palsy would be like; the progress would be slower, though still present, the kids would still play games, instead of dancing on his feet maybe Owen would move just his arms and legs a bit. I imagine the slower pace of life it would have brought, perhaps wrought with anxiety and other challenges. I think of the joys of togetherness that it would have created in our family, by way of extra help from family and friends.

When I see someone with a disability, I immediately look for signs of inclusion and acceptance. I witness the kinship involved in his or her daily living. I seek out examples of what may have been, and I see them through lenses of love.

No comments: