Friday, July 28, 2006

More nice words from Perfesser Creekwater

Today, a lilting rhyming poem from my brother Mark the perfesser. He recently emailed me from Champaign-Urbana, home of the University of Illinois Champaign/Urbana campus, from whence Bill & I graduated lo those many years ago.

Now they have crossed into Indiana.

His walk with CrossWalk America-- and his writing me from my old college town -- puts me in mind of when Bill & I hitch-hiked from the East Coast to the West after graduation, a delayed honeymoon. That was in 1971, when lots of folks were hitch-hiking and hardly anyone was getting cut up and butchered for their pains. Now, the highways are not safe for the thumb. Of course my mom worried and fretted her heart out when Bill and I traveled, as I'm sure I would have also were I in her place. But it really was a safer time to solicit rides from friendly strangers.

My mom, much as she disapproved of our hitch-hiking journey, nevertheless gave us our first ride, driving us from her home in New Castle, Delaware to the entrance to the Pennsylvania Turnpike. My grandfather, Frank Moss, went with her to drop us off. He was close to 90 at the time, and it was his only visit to Delaware from Texas in all the years that my mom lived up North. He told me on that visit that the two things he could always count on when he was in company were: 1) that he would be the oldest man there and 2) that he would be the only man wearing a hat.

I asked my mom how my Grandfather felt about what Bill and I were doing. She said, oh he's more against it than I am, he doesn't understand at all why you would want to do something so foolish... but you're his granddaughter and ... well, ... you're his granddaughter.
EARTH + SKY

THE SKY IS MY ROOF
THE EARTH IS MY HOME
THIS MUCH IS TRUE WHERE*EVER I ROAM

A POSITIVE ATTITUDE OUT ON "THE STREET"
RESPECT + COMPASSION FOR PEOPLE I MEET

I USE WHAT I FIND I STEAL FROM NO ONE
I LAY DOWN TO REST WHEN DAY'S WORK IS DONE

AND EVEN THO LIFE IS NOT ALWAYS A LARK
I LOOK FOR THE LIGHT EVEN WHEN IT IS DARK

I TRY TO GO FORWARD EACH DAY AS I LIVE
IF YOU DO ME WRONG I AM QUICK TO FORGIVE

IF I DO YOU WRONG THEN I HOPE + I PRAY
THAT WE SOON CAN BE FRIENDS AGAIN
WITHOUT DELAY

SINCERELY - M.D. 1990

No comments: