Thursday, June 01, 2006

Things just get more and more mysterious


I have been lauding Debra Murphy's novel The Mystery of Things since I read it last year, saying that at last a bona fide Catholic novelist of excellence has emerged.

Now Matthew Lickona has written a review of Debra's book for Godspy.

Matthew Lickona is the author of Swimming with Scapulars: True Confessions of a Young Catholic, a book that has received generally favorable reviews although I have only browsed it on amazon. In reviewing The Mystery of Things he gives you his complaints before he gets to the good stuff, and tells you how his complaints were modified as he read. I had an experience similar to his. I even wrote to the author, asking about her unfashionable use of adjectives. Yes, she did it on purpose and yes, she knows it flies in the face of contemporary wisdom on fiction writing.

I do recommend this book because it works as a murder mystery, it works as a look at contemporary Catholicism, and it works as a fictional exploration of JPII's Theology of the Body.

No comments: