Tuesday, May 16, 2006

Flylady, salmon & Malcolm comes to an end

A couple of months ago my daughter Gabe introduced me to the Flylady at flylady.org, and I started using her strategies for decluttering my house and my life. Cleaning in 15 minute spurts really does result in more cleaning getting done than waiting until I have time to tackle each room thoroughly. Keeping my kitchen sink clean and shiny really does make me feel better when I get up in the mornings. I also like the idea that perfectionism is more of a curse than a blessing. I also like the idea of throwing away any clothes in your closet that don't make you feel great wearing them. I mean, what's the point?

Last night Emily and I were at Pathmark buying fresh fruits and vegetables and trying to figure out what to make for dinner. I'm also very much trying to eat better and keep my salt intake down, lose some weight and maybe not have a stroke from high blood pressure quite so soon. We ran into Kate Rogers who was standing at the fish counter, and got into a discussion about how we've been thinking of trying to eat more fish but neither of us was any good at cooking fish. It's always bland. So Kate gave us an on the spot method for a kind of teriyaki salmon, we bought some, took it home and cooked it up as per her recipe, and it was a hit! So maybe I'll have salmon once a week. I'd been getting smoked salmon but the salt content is way too high, it cancels out any benefit of the fish itself to health.

It's 7:33am and I have to leave for work in a half hour. I'm stalling my shower and morning routine because I really would rather just sit here and mentally meander.

Oh, and the series finale of Malcolm in the Middle was painful to watch in parts but there was one final great exchange between Lois and Malcolm that was a work of art. Malcolm and Reese both wound up janitors, Malcolm in Harvard where he was working his way through on his way to becoming President of the United States, Reese at his old high school where he couldn't believe he had lucked into such a great job. Francis' wife made an appearance much to my relief, because we hadn't seen her in awhile and I worried they'd broken up, and Francis had a normal job in a cubicle as a faceless minion of a big corporation and he LOVED IT, but continued to tell Lois he was out of work and a free spirit as always.

And Stevie grew into a slim, handsome young man, he looked so different from the younger Stevie I thought it was a different actor in that wheelchair.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Yeah, fish! All of us like salmon. One way to get the fish habit is absolutely buy each week, and try whatever is on sale. Experiment! Tilapia, whatever! Smear herbs or low-cal basting sauce on it and go for it!! Yeah, fish! Teri