Wednesday, April 19, 2006

De-cluttering, 15 minutes at a time

Whew, that last post did a good job de-cluttering my mind. De-cluttering... that's where it's at for me at the moment. My daughter Reetie introduced me to
The Flylady and her plan for getting rid of the CHAOS in one's life. CHAOS, as in, Can't Have Anyone Over Sydrome,
which folks like me whose homes are perpetually untidy have in spades. I am the kind of homemaker who welcomes planned events at my house just so I am forced to clean.

Flylady's approach is 15 minutes at a time. You can de-clutter anything, she says (preach it, Flylady!, even if your cartoons are silly looking) if you do it in 15 minute segments at a time.

So I spent 15 minutes just now continue to de-clutter my linen closet. It's going hand in hand with de-cluttering my bedroom closet. I've now got a huge box of decent clothes, tablecloths, curtains etc. to take to Salvation Army. Get rid of things that don't make you feel good, she says. No matter what you paid for them, or who gave them to you. If they're ugly (to you), if they "talk" to you about how come you're so fat or how come you haven't used me yet or how come you never put me on your table... get rid of them, give them to somebody else or trash them if they're never going to be another woman's treasure.

It feels good to un-clutter. I have a feeling that Flylady is right, and that un-cluttering is as close to a Magic Bullet as one will find in life.

Also... my blessings, let me count them just a bit. Two of my sons are getting married very soon; my grandson Zeke just started walking!; I've got one kid who can take care of sick animals and another one who can kick ass in kung fu and protect me in my old age... I've got graduates, near-marrieds, already-marrieds, great sons-in-law and to-be-daughters-in-law. A husband who, like Jesus, became perfected through suffering (tho unlike Jesus he's not perfect yet), a beautiful place to live (externally rough but interiorly buzzing with promise), more than enough food, the probability of fresh tomatoes and fresh green beans this summer, and lots better health than I could have.

15 minutes at a time... somehow, that's even more hopeful than one day at a time.

No comments: