Thursday, March 02, 2006

The day after the day after Fat Tuesday

Stephen Colbert wore his ashes on The Colbert Report last night. I can't describe how I felt seeing that smudged black cross, a silent witness of faith, as a man committed sharp and gut-busting comedy. In my house at least, viewing of the Colbert Report is always punctuated by bursts of loud laughter.

I've been taking my time going through Mark's gospel for the past few months. Here's what jumped up at me from my scripture reading this morning:

People were bringing little children to him... The disciples turned them away, but when Jesus saw this he was indignant...

This is the Jerusalem Bible translation, I don't know what the verb is in the original.

But just try to picture Jesus indignant. What a smile that raises in my heart.

No comments: