Wednesday, August 03, 2005

Not an oracle, just another suffering soul like the rest of us

Here is something Benedict XVI said to Italian clergy in the diocese of Aosta recently. I like this man. The emphasis in bold is my own. I think it speaks volumes about the man who must fill the shoes of JPII.
"The history of the Church has always been marked, in various different forms, by questions that have truly tormented us. What must be done? ... I would like to respond briefly, but I would also like to point out that the Pope is not an oracle, he is infallible only in very rare situations, as we know. Therefore I share these questions with you. I too suffer. But all of us together wish ... to transform problems through suffering, because suffering is the way to transformation, and without it nothing is transformed. This is also the meaning of to the parable of the grain of wheat that falls to the earth."

No comments: