Thursday, April 28, 2005

My life as a vegetable: part 1

I am working with Kim Hassinger on a project to tell her story of ongoing rehabilitation from a persistent vegetative state. Kim stepped forward at the eleventh hour to try to save Terri Schiavo's life by speaking about her experience.

"Give her a chance." Kim told CN8 anchor Arthur Fennell in the short bursts that are her sentences post-PVS. "I came back."

The project is tentatively titled "MY LIFE AS A VEGETABLE". Kim laughed and laughed when I delicately suggested that as a title. She likes it.

Doing some research, I came across a great site about brain injuries called While You Are Waiting. On the survivor's page, Stephanie writes about her experience of coma:

As I am sleeping...


As I am sleeping...



I heard someone say that I am in a coma.

It doesn't feel real.

The noise here is unlike anything I have ever known.

There seems to be activity all around me,

but I cannot move, cannot open my eyes.

There are bits and pieces of memory. Fragments.

Fragments of thoughts, and sound, and sensation.



I just woke up again, but still can't move,

or let anyone know that I can hear.

My body won't move and my eyes still won't open.

For some reason I cannot stay awake.... if this is awake.

I am drifting as though on an ocean.

I drift within sight of shore but can't reach the shore,

or make myself heard. No one sees that I am here.

The tides carry me away again

and blackness envelopes me, and I feel nothing.



When you come to see me please talk to me.

Please tell me something familiar.

I need something familiar to hold on to.

I need your touch and contact with you,

even if I can't respond.

I need a connection with sounds, talk,

and voices that are familiar to me.


Stephanie

copyright © 1997

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~


Original page.

No comments: