Wednesday, April 20, 2005

I'm mad as hell & I'm not going to take it anymore....

I have had it with the use of the words "liberal", "conservative", and "progressive" to describe Catholics. The words are badly enough applied in the world of pure politics, but even worse when applied to members of a 2000-year old FAMILY/INSTITUTION which is the epitome of the BOTH/AND approach to reality rather than the EITHER/OR approach. In the adopted words of the little Jeff Lebowski, aka the Dude, the Dudemeister, or His Dudeness if you're not into the whole brevity thing, this terminology will not stand!

I excise these terms from my vocabulary. In our antagonistic society, they seem only to serve as sticks & stones to break the bones of one's enemies.

And the Christ I follow says love your enemies, don't try to break their bones.

So I am making a vow of vocabulary abstinence... :-)

I hope this doesn't come back to bite me in the butt. Last Black Friday (day after Thanksgiving), three young ladies from Delaware were arrested for going to our local shopping mall and publicizing "Buy Nothing Day".

You can read about them here.

I was so annoyed that I publicly declared, in a letter to the News Journal, that I would never patronize the Christiana Mall again. Abstaining from shopping at a mall is not exactly a hardship for me, but I had a hard time finding a Trappist fruitcake for my husband this Christmas, since I couldn't go to the mall where I usually find it.

I'm not a liberal. I'm not a conservative. I'm not a progressive. I'm not a reactionary. And now, neither is anyone else.

Here I stand. :-)

(... and no, this is not just to promote my "homestyle Catholicism" meme although truthfully, I think the HOMESTYLE/CAFETERIA dichotomy is the most accurate distinction there is, and I intend to promulgate its use. Then the SSPX folks would rightfully become the cafeteria Catholics that they so despise. Because they pick and choose as well.)

No comments: