Wednesday, March 30, 2005

CodeBlueBlog Issues $100,000 Challenge to Terri Schiavo Neurologist Experts

A startling and credible challenge from CodeBlueBlog, the award-winning medical blog of a radiologist who has extensively critiqued the CT scan evidence for Terri Schiavo's diagnosis of PVS:
I am offering $100,000 on a $25,000 wager for ANY neurologist (and $125,000 for any neurologist/bioethicist) involved in Terri Schiavo's case--including all the neurologists reviewed on television and in the newspapers who can accurately single out PVS patients from functioning patients with better than 60% accuracy on CT scans.

I will provide 100 single cuts from 100 different patient's brain CT's. All the neurologist has to do is say which ones represent patients with PVS and which do not.

If the neurologist can be right 6 out of 10 times he wins the $100,000.
Read the full story of the challenge here.

As for me.
Q: Why do I hope someone will accept this challenge?

A: Because I hope to encourage independent investigation on the part of my interlocutors on the "other side" who believe that this is a political matter more than a matter of justice.

I have started discussing the Terri Schiavo case with John Stapleford, who like Ellen Leibowitz is a person I like and respect who is on the "other side" in this case and others that involve the Blue State/Red State dichotomy. John's an interesting, cool guy I met first because he's a friend of my son David, and then because he & I worked together in the McDowell Computing Labe at UD. Read his blatherings here.

My hands feel most tied with folks like John and Ellen because my political allies are Republicans and conservatives, while I am by tradition and temperament a Democrat and a liberal who finds herself out of sync with what both Democrats and liberals have evolved into. I will be happy when a third party emerges, or one of the two parties decides to integrate liberal social justice principles with conservative protection of human life at all stages.

Meanwhile, trying to get information that is credible to folks on "the other side" like John and Ellen (and my son David) about the Terri Schiavo case remains difficult.

CodeBlueBLog won the 2004 Medical Weblogs award for Best Clinical Sciences Weblog. And no, he didn't win an award handed out by right-wing folks. Echo Journal handed out the 2004 Medical Weblogs awards. They have links to NIH (which the right despises) and seem objective & credible.

John, Ellen, Dave my son -- the Red State/Blue State dichotomy is a red herring. Now is the time for all good men and women to come to the aid of their country. Aren't we all tired of letting the official pundits and the moneyfolks and the manipulators on both sides dictate how we run this democratic republic?

I've said it before and I will say it again. The Terri Schiavo case is one for the history books. For any number of reasons. The genie is out of the bottle -- let's all get committed to truth, make alliances outside the Red and Blue dichotomy, and reform the health care system and policies in our nation from top to bottom.


No comments: