Saturday, January 01, 2005

Happy New Year!

Happy new year! Here is a link provided by the author of the "awaiting another death" blog to a poem on abortion written by Ovid before the time of Christ. Translated as
What Good is it that Girls Need Never Go to War?
, this poem is worth a read. If I get the energy, I will try to find a second translation of it. Also I should send the link to whomever it was I blogged last week who is collecting poems about abortion. I want a different translation because this one sounds just too much completely modern and on the mark. Annette Gieseke and Nik Gross, both of whom teach Ancient Greek and Roman Studies in my Department at the University of Delaware, would probably just point out how relevant the ancients were and are to our own times.

No comments: