Thursday, July 29, 2004

July 29, 1966 ... The Day I Fell in Love

I just realized what day it is - July 29! I wonder if Bill will remember. Some years we remember, some years we do not.

July 29, 1966, 16-year-old Rae D'Orazio and 16-year-old Bill Stabosz went out on a first date, after the closing ceremonies of the 6-week program we were both a part of at Ohio State University.

Summer night... we walked and talked for hours. Bill wrote his name in ink on my arm. At some point, kissage commenced.

The next day, I got on a bus to go back to Delaware, he drove away with Ben Israel to return to Chicago. Our parting was as grief-stricken and as passionate as Olivia Hussey and Leonard Whiting in Zefferelli's Romeo and Juliet. Our date had been as earth-shattering as was their meeting at the Capulet's party. The world turned, the universe stood on its head and I fell off the edge... we both did...

We said goodbye, not knowing what to make of this sudden passion-to-be-with-other that we had experienced, not knowing if we would ever see each other again.

That was 38 years ago. Out of that night came 9 beautiful babies, 7 outstanding surviving Stabosz siblings, 2 incredible grandchildren, and a universe of weal and woe.

Deo gratias, Deo gratias, Deo gratias!




2 comments:

SweatyNerd said...

6 Weeks! Bill sure took his time :-)

There are nights like that I can remember keenly... when the air temperature is just right... light wind, smell of new cut grass.

Only most of my memories are getting knocked head over heels by some linebacker during the Friday night high school game.

The ink tatoo was a nice touch, though I will probably have to give some thought to sending my daughters away to summer sessions at colleges.

Rae said...

Alab, you poor poor man. The only thing I can say to you is, Lock up your daughters. If you and Deb are still sane by the time Alana is out of her teenage years, you will be proof positive of the existence of God. :-)